Larb Gai is a great go to order when visiting a Thai restaurant, and it is so simple to recreate at home. This high protein dish is full of flavours of lemongrass, chilli and lime that keep it light and fresh. Coriander optional!
WHY ITS GOOD FOR YOU
Lean protein from chicken will help with muscle and cell repair. Lemongrass and ginger are both multi purpose healers, which particularly help with ailments of the digestive tract and have an anti-inflammatory effect. Fresh chilli is exceptionally high in vitamin C, just 42 grams will make up your daily allowance, although that would make for a fairly spicy Larb Gai.
INGREDIENTS (2 Serves)
- 250gm Minced Chicken
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Medium Red Onion
- 1 Large Fresh Chilli
- 1 Medium Stalk of Lemongrass (Or 2 Tablespoons Lemongrass Paste)
- Juice of 2 Medium Limes
- 3 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Grated Fresh Ginger
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Small handful Crushed Peanuts
- Handful of Coriander and Mint Leaves (optional)
- Iceberg Lettuce Leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pan fry finely chopped lemongrass, chilli, ginger and garlic in coconut oil until fragrant.
- Add minced chicken, lime juice, fish sauce, coconut sugar and water to the pan. The liquid will keep the chicken moist. Stir often while chicken is cooking, until the chicken turns from pink to completely white.
- Remove from heat and stir through sliced red onion, peanuts, coriander and mint.
- Serve on your choice of cauliflower, white or brown rice